My Favorite Memories: I Would Suck At Being Homeless


Now I've already written an entire post about meeting Paul McCartney,
for those of you who haven't, take a look here.

The sparknote version:
Heather and I met Paul McCartney.
We waited on Oxford Street for about 30 hours.
That entailed sleeping on a sidewalk
in the middle of October in London.

You would think that sleeping on the street would be a memory enough,
but Heather and I like to push the limits
and make ourselves look even more pathetic than was thought to be possible.

In the afternoon in line, we were able to step out if one of us stayed and saved our spots.
Which was good, because we had brought nothing compared to the others in line (which you'll see below).
So with that,
our solution is to run to Primark
and buy one blanket each for the night.
That should be good, right?

Well.
What we didn't have enough sense to realize,
was that at night, it does in fact get cold in London.
It gets really cold.

And I mean, while we have tons of experience sleeping on sidewalks,
we didn't quite fully grasp how freezing the pavement is in the middle of the night.

I'm just going to give you a visual of Heather and I's situation on sleeping on the street
versus the others who waited in line as well.


And then you can see what Heather and I are working with...


Yes. Those are cardboard boxes we are sleeping on.
They actually aren't even cardboard boxes.
One is a Dominos Pizza box, and the other is a Primark brown shopping bag.

If you're wondering how rock bottom looks,
there you have it.

The next day when we were in the line to meet Paul,
the staff was around us commenting on the people who waited overnight.
We just happened to walk past one of the guys while he was mid-sentance saying,
"Yea you all were real prepared for the night!"
Naturally, I grew the slightest smile with a "really? you think we did good?"

That was followed with a "Oh no... no, no, definitely not you girls.. you had nothing! hahaha!"
Oh. Yea. You noticed too...

Moral of the story?
Thank God this all ended with Paul McCartney.



16 comments

  1. That is so cool that you got to meet Sir McCartney!!

    Best, Mree

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, sleeping on the street makes for the greatest stories! I slept on the street in NYC before the final Harry Potter movie premiere... for like four nights, lol. But we were some of the crazy prepared people and used blow-up pool rafts for beds. :) Luckily that was in July, though it still got really chilly at night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh that's pretty hilarious! I can only imagine arriving and being like 'yeah we can totally own this' and seeing everyone arrive with loads of stuff to keep warm..it's great that it ended with you meeting Paul McCartney though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is commitment!! I don't know if I would ever wait that long to meet someone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha that's so funny, even though I can't imagine how terrible those sleeping conditions must have been! I'm glad that it was all worth it in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I laughed, and am so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha yet another amazing story! You have some good ones to tell one day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! How cool!
    And you have a cool story to go along with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, I loved all the captions you put with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! that is hardcore! What an awesome adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...Now that's what I like to call DEDICATION--you can definitely tell that to the grandkids!!...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. I don't know that I could've done it! We were in London for our honeymoon in October 3 years ago and it was so COLD! I can't imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh man!! that is hardcore! well lesson learned :) next time i ever wait in line like that.. i will know to bring a tent haha

    glad there was a happy ending though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I admire people who do things like this. I don't think I'd ever be that dedicated!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha, I would have totally done the same and been unprepared. I mean, some of those people look like they were full on camping. Who does that? But at least you got to meet Paul McCartney!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing! So jealous you got to meet Sir Paul McCartney. <3

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Subscribe

Instagram