Flat Hunting From Another Country
{Part 2}

Welcome to Part 2 of the Flat Hunting Saga.
Find the first part to this guide here --> {Part 1}


After laying down the foundation for what we wanted in and around us,
we began the next step, finding the places in London that would offer these needs&wants.

1) The first thing we did was look for areas that cater to people like us
This involved a lot of Google searches for area guides, etc.,
but I'll make it easy for you and list the ones I found most helpful:

- London Rentonomy is an interactive area guide map, where it provides you with the type of area, largest age group, most common nationalities, rent average, transportation, etc.
The site goes into detail for each one of these points listed above - it's a great tool full of information!

- Stuck in London doesn't have as large of a list as the others named here, but they list everything that these other sites do, as well as the good and the bad to living in each place. I've used Stuck in London quite a bit, because it's not too often you find sites that list the downsides to each area, which is something that I like to be aware of.

- Kinleigh, Folkard, & Hayward is an estate agency, but they've got a great section on their website that provides the top five features of each area, what parks and transport is around, and the best things about living in each place!

- TimeOut London lists things to do in each area; popular bars, clubs, restaurants, etc., as well as the areas that neighbor.

- And if you're looking for student accommodation, your university will have housing options for you on their website.
There are also plenty of student accommodation buildings that aren't affiliated to any particular university. The best way to find these are going on Accommodation for Students and looking to the right sidebar, that lists afs partners.
I haven't used the actual Accommodation for Students website search, but use it for their partners (oops)
These are all student living estate agents, that mostly offer studio flats.
This is a great option if you are moving by yourself and are looking to be surrounded by other students.

There are PLENTY of other sites with area guides similar to this, so feel free to do your own searches as well.  These few sites are just the ones that I stuck with the most.


2) After looking at all of this information
along with the previous notes regarding transport links, distance from school/work, etc.
we narrowed it down to around 5 areas that were the best in distance/qualities, as well as environment.


This will give you your list of areas that suite you best.

Once you have this list, you're ready for the FINAL stage before you start viewing to find your property.

View the last stage - part 3 --> HERE!

50 comments

  1. Replies
    1. We're really down to Islington or Kennington/Peckham/Brixton. Really just the NE or S - Heather's school is in the east by Mile End, and I'm in central by Baker Street, so we had a lot of figuring out to do on what would be good areas that were convenient for both of us. My top choice probably would've been Fulham or Islington if we didn't have to think about anything!
      What area are you in?

      Delete
  2. looking for a place is so stressful! hope you find something you love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you've at least narrowed it down! I can't imagine how hard it is to move to a different country that you don't know very well. It looks like you've done great research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much more of a process than I thought! I get crazy with research though, so while some see it as a problem, in this case it's helped a lot!

      Delete
  4. This is such a great idea! good luck and I hope you find something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you know exactly what you're doing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh, another quality of mine is making it look like things are under control ;)

      Delete
  6. I can't even imagine what it's like to try and look for a home from far away! It sounds very daunting, but I'm glad you found some good resources!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, but as time goes on my anxiety goes down, so it's getting better!

      Delete
  7. Hope you find exactly what you are looking for!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am really excited for you and I am actually thinking of meeting up lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh so exciting and stressful at the same time!! Hope you find something you love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a perfect combination of pure excitement and utter stress!!

      Delete
  10. Hope you find your perfect place soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have found so many GREAT websites!! Thanks for sharing, I'll definitely need those in the future! xx -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait until you start going through this process - because I know you WILL be going through this process! :D

      Delete
  12. I've house hunted in the States (because I live in Ohio, so of course) and it's stressful enough. I can't imagine doing it in another country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. House hunting is pretty stressful anywhere you are!

      Delete
  13. So for some reason I didn't realize you were actually moving to the UK again soon. I don't even know. Total brain freeze. I can't imagine how stressful/exciting it must be! I was lucky in the past because my teaching job came with housing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahah I think changing my name from 'Adventures Abroad,' could easily throw anyone off to thinking I'm just living anywhere. But yes - August I'll be back! It's so so so stressful but beyond exciting knowing that everything I've been working towards in the past few years is finally coming together!

      Delete
  14. Good luck with the home hunting! How great you are able to move to London! =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. London sounds like such a dream! Happy Home Hunting! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a dream come true! Thank you!

      Delete
  16. you are a travel guru - I swear! loving the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh, I've house hunted from state to state but I can't even imagine how stressful it must be from another country! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sooo stressful, anywhere you're doing it! Knowing other people get it all worked out makes me feel much better in knowing that SOMEDAY, (hopefully soon!!) it will work out for me!

      Delete
  18. Happy home hunting! You sound like you've got the game plan down. Can't wait to see your move!

    StarrJoy16.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to finally make the move!

      Delete
  19. This can't be easy, but you sound like you're doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not easy! Thank you for the encouragement :)

      Delete
  20. Looking for a place can be so stressful. Best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll find something you love.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I found and rented an apartment in Boston from California. Didn't even see pictures, just found a roommate. Got there, and it turns out it was across the street (literally) from Fenway Park. That was the year the Red Sox won the World Series for the first time in 86 years. 40,000 people outside my bedroom window, celebrating like mad. It was so cool. BEST APARTMENT EVER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cori...my boyfriend goes to Berklee and his apartment last year was on Peterborough, like 2 blocks from Fenway...this year he'll be on Boylston and his back door will basically open right up to the park...I love visiting him during baseball season! We love just walking around Fenway as games are getting out!

      Delete
    2. WOW! You seriously lucked out on that one - I feel like I have some familiarity with areas in London, but not as much as I'd like with picking a home, so send your lucky vibes my way!

      Delete
  22. These are great tips! You sound so knowledgeable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe there's SO much more I need to learn! Good to know I seem like I'm on the right track though :) - thank you!!

      Delete
  23. Good luck! So fun yet so stressful! I can't imagine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're right on point with how it feels!

      Delete
  24. I applaud your organization! This is a huge task and it sounds like you're doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Encouraging words always help me with feeling like I'm in the right direction!

      Delete
  25. This is fantastic! Trying to find a flat myself in London, these links and tips are incredibly helpful. PS, I'm relatively certain that we need to meet up in London once I've relocated.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Subscribe

Instagram